Council holds regular Australian Citizenship ceremonies for residents who wish to become Australian citizens. Citizenship ceremonies have an important symbolic role because they formally welcome new citizens from many cultures into Australian society.
The ceremony is a formal part of the citizenship process. A person becomes an Australian citizen on the date he or she attends the citizenship ceremony and makes the Pledge of commitment to Australia.
The main elements of the ceremony are:
- Official welcome
- An address by the Administrator or a special guest
- Pledge of commitment to Australia
- Presentation of certificates of Australian citizenship
- Presentation of a gift to all new citizens
- Singing of the national anthem, Advance Australia Fair
Becoming an Australian Citizen
An Australian Citizen has the right to:
- Vote and elect Australia's government.
- Stand for public office or nominate for election to Parliament.
- Apply for an Australian passport and leave and re-enter the country without a resident return visa.
- Seek consular assistance from Australia's diplomatic representatives while overseas.
- Apply to enlist in the armed forces and for government jobs.
- Register children as Australian Citizens by descent.
You can now lodge your application online at the Australian Government: Department of Immigration & Multicultural Affairs - Australian Citizenship website.
You can also visit the Australian Citizenship website to download the application kit and forms. Or call the Citizenship Information Line on 131 880 or obtain a kit from Australia Post.
Further information can also be obtained by visiting the Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affair's Australian Citizenship website.
Please note that processing time can vary, if all documentation is provided at the time of lodgement or at interview, it may take up to 30 days for a decision to be made on your application. Once your application has been approved, arrangements will be made for you to attend a citizenship ceremony at Council. It can take a few months from the date of approval until you are invited to attend a citizenship ceremony. If you need to attend a citizenship ceremony by a particular date, please discuss your circumstances with Council, phone 6581 8111.