Environmental monitoring and reporting
Port Macquarie-Hastings Council carries out a range of environmental monitoring programs.
Environmental monitoring is carried out to assess the impact of human activities on the local environment and to detect environmental change over time.
Environmental monitoring activities include:
- Catchment-wide freshwater stream water-quality monitoring
- Estuarine water quality monitoring
- Coastal marine water quality monitoring
- Seagrass mapping and condition assessment
- Monitoring discharges from sewage treatment plants
- River water quality and flow monitoring associated with the potable water supply system
Port Macquarie-Hastings Council's annual State of the Environment Report is our local 'environmental report card' through which trends in environmental changes are identified and responses to environmental pressures are reported.
The Report itself is a monitoring tool that allows Council to identify important areas of environmental change that require responses to be implemented through subsequent corporate management plans.
Council's current State of the Environment Report can be found at:
For a comprehensive report on catchment water quality, please fill in the Request Form below