Management Committees, Boards and Governance
Volunteering on a management committee or board can be a very rewarding experience. With so many volunteers on management committees and the increasing importance of knowing your responsibilities there are a number of resources and sites that can assist you in fulfilling your role.
- Our Community website provides a number of links and resources (training, policy, books, codes etc) which will help you to undertake your role.
- The Community Builders website also hosts a range of useful information.
- Similarly NCOSS (New South Wales Council of Social Services) hosts a Management Support Unit that provides information, links and resources.
- Our Community has developed a Resource Centre for the Boards, Committees & Governance Centre, where you can obtain a wealth of free information, tips and advice to help you Build a Better Board, Be a Better Board Member and Find a Board Position. They have developed a series of practical, no-nonsense help sheets for community group Board members (and others who work with these Boards), which will step you through all of the things you need to know and do in order to prepare for a new Board role, improve yourself as a board member, or ensure your Board is functioning effectively. The help sheets are not a complete guide to governance but they do provide a great starting point for people wanting to join or improve a community group board or committee.
- The Australian Council of Social Service (ACOSS) is the peak council of the community services and welfare sector. Established in 1956, ACOSS is the national voice for the needs of people affected by poverty and inequality. The aims of ACOSS are to reduce poverty and inequality by developing and promoting socially, economically and environmentally responsible public policy and action by government, community and business while supporting non-government organisations which provide assistance to vulnerable Australians.
- The Council of Social Service of New South Wales (NCOSS) is the peak body for the social and community services sector in New South Wales. NCOSS plays a coordination, advocacy, policy development, leadership and information role for the social and community services sector in New South Wales. Members range from the smallest community-based services to the largest welfare organisations. They include refuges, charities, church groups, local councils, consumer organisations, hospitals, and aged, disability and child care services. They also include peak support and advocacy groups that represent services at a regional and Statewide level.
- The Mid-North Coast Regional Council for Social Development (MNCRCSD) is the Peak representative body representing organisations on the Mid-North Coast. To contact the MNCRCSD please call 6568 4040
There are a number of local community grants that are available
The Port Macquarie-Hastings region has a number of local service directories.
Marketing, Media and Promotion
Marketing and promoting your service, activities or projects can be instrumental in gaining support, attracting volunteers and participants, acknowledging funding support, and also raising your profile.
We have developed a guide to help you promote your community organisation effectively. Community Group promotion guide (59KB)
Insurance offered through NCOSS Community Cover include:
- Public Liability: protects your organisation from claims by members of the public for personal injury or property damage due to your negligence
- Association Protector: protects your organisation and its management from directors and officers and professional indemnity claims
- Property insurance: protects your assets (includes fire and other perils, burglary, money, glass, general property and business interruption)
- Personal Accident Volunteers: compensates your volunteers if they are accidentally injured while helping you
- Comprehensive and non-owned motor vehicle: covers vehicles owned by your group as well as workers and volunteers vehicles
All provided in one package with one proposal form at one annual price. To obtain a quote for NCOSS Community Cover contact Aon Risk Services 1300 363 764 (and mention NCOSS) or email: email@example.com
For further information please contact: