Kitchen Food Waste Bins are an easy way to recycle your leftover food.
Port Macquarie-Hastings Council offers all residents a FREE Kitchen Food Waste Bin to make it easier for leftover food waste to be placed into your green organics bin. ALL food can be placed into your green organic bin. The free Kitchen Food Waste Bins come with a continuous supply of bio-degradable cornstarch bags. The bin fits neatly on your worktop bench or inside your kitchen cupboard.
Order your Kitchen Food Waste Bin online or call 1300 787 223. The bin will be delivered direct to your house.
Tips on using your Kitchen Food Waste bin effectively to recycle leftover food waste
- Place a bio-degradable cornstarch bag in your kitchen foodwaste bin. DO NOT use a plastic bag.
- Food waste can be wrapped in newspaper or dropped straight into the cornstarch bag.
- Fill your kitchen foodwaste bin with ALL foodwaste. This includes meat, bones, seafood, seafood shells, fruit and vegetable scraps, bread, plate scrapings (eg pasta), teabags, coffee grounds and soiled kitchen paper or napkins.
- Empty your food waste bin into your Green Bin as required or every second day.
- If you already have a compost bin or worm farm at home we encourage you to keep using it.
Additional Information on the Cornstarch bags used for the Ktichen Food Waste Bin
- The Kitchen food waste bags are made out of cornstarch and therefore break down during the composting process. They are not the same as biodegradable plastic bags.
- Your kitchen foodwaste bin is specifically designed to allow air to circulate to prevent odours. The cornstarch bags supplied are also breathable and compliment the bin design. If a cornstarch bag cannot 'breathe' it will begin to break down.
- There are 150 bags on the roll - enough for you to use 2-3 bags per week for a year. When you run out of bags call 1300 787 223 and a new roll will be delivered.
- Remember that organic materials that you may not place in your home compost bin (such as meat, bones, citrus, onions or bread) can be placed in your Green organics Bin to be composted at the ORRF.
Port Macquarie-Hastings Council have introduced the innovative 'kitchen foodwaste bin' to encourage residents to place ALL foodwaste into the green bin.