Aged and Disability Development
Council's Community Development Officer - Aged and Disability works with individuals and organisations to promote the needs of older people and people with a disability, and to assist in building the community's capacity to enhance well being.
The position is partly funded by the Department of Ageing Disability and Home Care (DADHC) and has been a full-time position based at Council since 1996.
The Aged and Disability Officer aims to:
- Provide project management, development advice and support to the community, service providers and Council for ageing and disability planning and activity;
- Resource and facilitate the Port Macquarie-Hastings Access Sub-Committee;
- Monitor Council's Disability Discrimination Act Action Plan that supports quality of life and access for older people and people with a disability;
- Increase awareness and provide information to community, service providers and Council on aged and disability needs and issues;
- Support events and celebrations which acknowledge older people and people with a disability;
- Improve access and equity to services and facilities for older people, people with a disability and their carers;
- Provide project management advice and support to Port Macquarie-Hastings Council staff, Home and Community Care (HACC) service providers and the general community; and
- Work with community groups to increase opportunities for older people and people with a disability to be actively involved in the community.