Port Macquarie-Hastings Council recognises the need and benefits of dog owners and their animals to be able to access and utilise public open space areas such as parks, reserves, foreshores and beaches. Council also needs to take account of the other users of such areas.
With this in mind, Council endeavours to provide a range of use opportunities for dog owners and their animals. There are, however, certain conditions/restrictions on the use of certain areas.
The access and use requirements for public open space are as follows (maps are provided below):
1. Prohibited Areas
Dogs are prohibited on the following beach areas:
- North Shore Beach (adjacent to Corrilla Estate residences)
- Pelican Island, Port Macquarie
- Town Beach, Port Macquarie
- Flynns Beach, Port Macquarie
- Shelly Beach, Port Macquarie
- Little Bay, Port Macquarie (directly north of Tacking Point Lighthouse)
- Lighthouse Beach, Port Macquarie (from Tacking Point to Watonga Rocks)
- Cathie Beach, Lake Cathie (from Dirah Street Beach access to Molong Street Beach access)
- Rainbow Beach, Bonny Hills (from Duchess Creek South and including Spooneys Bay)
- Bartletts Beach, Bonny Hills
- Grants Beach, North Haven (from Northern end of Surf Club car park to the breakwall)
- Pilots Beach, Dunbogan
- Wash House Beach, south of the Kattang Nature Reserve Boundary
- Dunbogan Beach, south of Beach Street access point
- Dunbogan Beach, from Camden Head to the southern boundary of Kattang Nature Reserve.
2. Permitted Areas - Leashed
Dogs are permitted on the following beach areas whilst under effective control of a competent person by way of a leash, cord or chain:
- Oxley Beach, Port Macquarie
- Lighthouse Beach, Port Macquarie (from Watonga Rocks to Matthew Flinders Drive 4WD beach access point)
- Cathie Beach, Lake Cathie (Molong Street beach access point to Middle Rock)
- Rainbow Beach, Bonny Hills (from Duchess Creek north for a distance of 200m)
- Grants Beach, North Haven (from Surf Club car park north for a distance of 200m)
- Dunbogan Beach, Dunbogan (from the southern boundary of Kattang Nature Reserve to the Seaview Avenue beach access point).
3. Permitted Areas - Unleashed
Dogs are permitted on beach areas not indicated in 1 or 2 above unleashed, at anytime.
4. Exemption for Guide Dogs
Notwithstanding the provisions of this policy, guide dogs may be exercised unleashed on any dog permitted beach area.
The Future of Leash Free Areas
Council acknowledges the need for some park based leash free areas. Over the coming years, Port Macquarie-Hastings Council will allocate park based areas in Port Macquarie, Wauchope and Laurieton where people can exercise their dogs leash free.