This Bush Fire Risk Management Plan (BFRMP) has been prepared by the Hastings Bush Fire Management Committee (BFMC) pursuant to section 52 of the Rural Fires Act 1997.
The aim of this Bush Fire Risk Management Plan is to reduce the adverse impact of bush fires on life, property and the environment.
The objectives of this Bush Fire Risk Management Plan are to:
- reduce the number of human-induced bush fire ignitions that cause damage to life,
property or the environment;
- manage fuel to reduce the spread and intensity of bush fires while minimising
- reduce the community's vulnerability to bush fires by improving its preparedness; and
- effectively contain fires with a potential to cause damage to life, property and the
Appendix 1. BFRMP Community Participation Strategy (27KB)
Appendix 2. Asset Register (20KB)
Appendix 3. Treatment Register (37KB)
Appendix 4. Maps 1 - 5
These maps form part of the BFRMP for the Hastings Bush Fire Management Committee (BFMC), covering the local government area(s) of Hastings. It should be viewed in conjunction with the accompanying BFRMP document which provides further details on the BFMC area, the assets assessed and the risk assessment process used.
Under the Rural Fires Act 1997 this plan must be reviewed and updated within each successive five year period following the constitution of the BFMC. The Hastings BFMC will also review this plan as necessary. This may be triggered by a range of
circumstances, including but not limited to:
- changes to the BFMC area, organisational reponsibilities or legislation;
- changes to the bush fire risk in the area; or
- following a major fire event.
This BFRMP identifies the assets that are considered by the Hastings BFMC and community to be at risk from bush fires, assesses the bush fire risk to each asset and assigns treatments designed to mitigate the risk. Assets in the BFMC area identified as requiring treatments are listed in the assets table. Other assets within the BFMC area that were assessed as not requiring treatments within the life of this plan are listed in the appendix to the BFRMP document. The Map Ref number "NA" denotes non-spatial assets.
Specific treatments assigned to assets in the Hastings area are listed in the treatments table and linked to the assets which they are designed to protect. Standard BFMC wide treatments (i.e. not linked to a specific asset) which occur on an ongoing basis within the BFMC area are:
- reviewing the bush fire prone land map;
- ensuring developments in the bush fire prone land comply with Planning for Bush Fire Protection;
- using the Local Environment Plan/s (LEPs) to control development in areas with a bush fire risk;
- varying the standard bush fire danger period as required;
- requiring permits during bush fire danger periods
- prosecution of arsonists/offenders
- investigation of bush fire cause;
- normal fire suppression activities;
- assessing and managing compliance with strategic fire-fighting resource allocation management systems;
- preparation of a S52 Operations Coordination Plan;
|Map 1 - North||Map 2 - Port Macquarie||Map 3 - Coast||Map 4 - Wauchope||Map 5 - West|