Apply Online for an Exempt or Complying Development Certificate
Use the Electronic Housing Code (EHC) to:
- Investigate your development options for an individual site
- Generate an exempt development report
- Prepare your complying development application electronically
- Lodge your application electronically
- Monitor the progress of your application
What is the Electronic Housing Code?
The Electronic Housing Code (EHC) is an online system for the electronic lodgement of complying development applications under the NSW Housing Code for lots 200m2 and above. This system will also allow the user to determine if they are able to proceed with their development without further approvals, as an exempt development.
The EHC was developed as a result of $5.92 million of Commonwealth funding through the Housing Affordability Fund (HAF), and is a partnership between the Department of Planning & Infrastructure and the Local Government and Shires Associations of NSW.
Port Macquarie-Hastings Council is one of the eleven local government areas involved in this pilot project. Council became involved in this initiative for the following benefits:
- creates consistency in the complying development processes across local government areas,
- faster application process available 24/7,
- improved access to user-friendly information on the Housing Code,
- decreased paper usage and storage by switching from paper to electronic submissions,
- reduced administrative burden due to a guided consistent application process.
For more information on this project, please view the dedicated project website at http://www.ehc.nsw.gov.au/.
What you need to know before using the system
Prior to using the Electronic Housing Code you may find it helpful to have the following information ready:
- As each development is different it is difficult to provide an exhaustive listing of required documentation for each scenario.
- You will require an electronic copy of the associated site plan in order to complete your application.
- If you are doing this application on behalf of others, you will need a signed owners consent form.
Please note that even though the EHC may indicate that your site and proposed development are suitable for complying development, a final determination is made by Council or an Accredited Private Certifier when you lodge your application.
Apply online for housing approvals using the EHC
Would you like to provide feedback on the system?
For those that are unsure how to use the system or complete an action, an online help system has been established. To access this site, please click here. You are also able to use this system to leave your thoughts and feedback on the Electronic Housing Code.