How to apply for an advertised position at Port Macquarie-Hastings Council
The advertisement will provide only the basic details of the position. Candidates should not rely solely on the advertisement to detail all the necessary skills, abilities, experience, qualifications that are required in order to perform the duties of the position, as this information is found in the role description.
The role description
Ask for a copy of the role description by phoning Council on 02 6581 8111 or by downloading it from this site.
By reading the role description and advertisement, an applicant can make a self-assessment of whether they have what is needed to perform the job, and if the job is what they are looking for.
The role description provides applicants with a comprehensive summary of the necessary skills, abilities, experience and qualifications that are required to perform the duties of the position. This information forms the basis of the selection criteria.
The selection criteria
The selection criteria is derived from the requirements and duties specified in the role description.
The decision of whether to interview an applicant is based on how well the applicant has met the selection criteria.
- Obtain a copy of the role description.
- If you have any job-related enquires, contact the nominated person in the advertisement.
- Write your application in a letter format, please see the example we have provided below.
- Use each selection criterion as a heading, and address how your skills, abilities, experience and qualifications meet the criteria.
- Address the application to the Group Manager, Organisational Development.
- Clearly identify the position you are applying for in your application.
- Clearly indicate where you first came to know about the job.
- Include a daytime contact telephone number in your application.
- Provide the names and contact details of at least two work-related referees.
- Send your application so that it arrives by the closing date (applications will only be reviewed after the closing date).
- Assume that the Selection Committee knows anything about you. A fair and objective choice about who to interview is made from the information you supply in your application.
- Submit a generic application. Match your skills with those required of the position, and clearly detail that information in your application.
- When applying for an advertised position, don't send in your résumé withoutan accompanying application addressing the selection criteria. It can be difficult for the Selection Committee to extract job specific requirements from a résumé, and your ability to meet the selection criteria may not be clearly evident in a résumé format.
Sample job application.pdf (39KB). Please note that this is a sample job application. This sample application may have different selection criteria to that of the job you are applying for. Please ensure that your job application addresses the essential and desirable criteria as outlined in the role description for the position you are applying for.
Casual and Temporary Positions
Sometimes casual and short-term temporary assignments are available at Council.
If you are interested in being considered for casual or temporary work, please send your résumé and a short covering letter to:
Group Manager, Organisational Development
Port Macquarie-Hastings Council
Port Macquarie NSW 2444
Port Macquarie-Hastings Council is committed to the creation of an inclusive, respectful and equitable workplace.
Through our recruitment, development, retention and promotion, policies and practices, we seek a diverse workforce that is effective and takes full advantage of a wide range of experiences and backgrounds.
We view diversity as a key attribute that enables us to attract and retain the best talent, thereby enabling us to deliver quality outcomes for our community.
Subscribe to Council's Job Alert
If you would like to receive an e-newsletter on the current jobs available with Council, subscribe to our Job Alert service.